As the financial markets infrastructure develops in Brunei Darussalam and demand for more sophisticated investment products increases, Standard Chartered Securities (B) Sdn Bhd (SCSB) supported by Standard Chartered Bank Brunei, has expanded its investment portfolio and financial planning tools to service the unique needs of Brunei’s affluent and emerging affluent customer base. Authorised by the Brunei Darussalam Central Bank as a Capital Market Service Licence holder, SCSB distributes investment products and offers wealth planning advice to retail and accredited investors.
Leading the way with extensive suite of products and services
Certainly, SCSB has positioned itself to offer holistic products and services encompassing more than 70-unit trusts, over 200 bonds and structured notes. These are offered in conjunction with financial planning services designed to address the strategic financial goals of clients with specific risk profiles and stage of life scenarios. Moreover, as the first approved Islamic window in Brunei, SCSB also offers Shariah compliant unit trusts providing clients with options for Islamic investments. Likewise, the range of sustainable investments has also been extended to cover various asset classes facilitating clients that choose to direct their funds towards more responsible securities.
Leveraging new platforms and digital tools to supports clients
Importantly, SCSB continues to prioritise enhancing its digital ecosystem to keep clients abreast of the latest market trends and developments, empowering them with relevant insights to help navigate financial markets, make more informed investment decisions and take advantage of strategic and tactical investment ideas on a timely basis. Among the recent initiatives that SCSB has launched include the following:
- Interactive Fund Library: available on its website www.sc.com/bn/invest, the Fund Library allows clients to view, search and compare all available funds and access key fund information such as factsheets, fund performance and annual reports.
- SC Money Insights: a podcast series by Standard Chartered’s global investment strategists created to bring investors current market views with content accessible in bitesized format. It has become a preferred tool by clients with total downloads recording over 60% YoY increase.
- Market views-on-the-go: clients are given the option of availing global resources to analyse financial markets around the world, with featured articles such as Global Market Outlook, Weekly Market Views and Market Watch.
- Fund Select: Standard Chartered’s global team of fund analysts apply a “3P” framework of Performance, People and Process for fund due diligence. The outcome is a list of recommended funds selected based on performance, manager expertise and investment process.
- Online Investment Portfolio: A first of its kind in Brunei, providing clients with upto-date information on their investment portfolio including the latest positioning and downloadable consolidated monthly statements for up to 12 months.
The impact for SCSB has been transformative as the proportion of clients with a wealth product who are digitally active has increased by 11% YoY in 2022 with the overall Brunei franchise recording an NPS score of +50.5.
Making investing convenient and accessible in a sustainable way
As a reflection of its net zero commitment, SCSB has also digitised the delivery of investment advice and portfolio statements to clients, successfully migrating more than 90% of clients to this channel. Clients now also have the convenience of consulting via video calls and subscribing to new investments over the phone or through email instructions with their designated relationship manager or wealth consultant, considerably reducing the institution’s carbon footprint. These form part of SCSB’s broader automation of core systems and services while making all-round real-time investment advisory more accessible.
Affirming its institutional achievements, The Digital Banker has awarded Standard Chartered Securities (B) Sdn Bhd for “Outstanding Transformation in Digital CX by a Wealth Manager” at the recently concluded Digital CX Awards 2023.
“This recognition is a testament to Standard Chartered Securities’ commitment to innovation and its dedication to provide best in class experience for our clients” said Brenda Low, Chief Executive Officer of Standard Chartered Securities (B) Sdn Bhd.
“SCSB has positioned itself to offer holistic products and services encompassing more than 70-unit trusts, over 200 bonds and structured notes.”